Taiwanese Minced Pork on RiceCourse: Main
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 lb. ground pork (or the meat of your choice)
1/2 lb. mushrooms (cremini, king oyster mushroom, or any mushrooms of your choice)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup cooking wine
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fried shallots
8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
10 oz. Chinese fried tofu, rinsed
1 scallion, thinly cut
- In a dutch oven, over medium high heat, add the canola oil.
- Once the oil is heated up, add the garlic, onion, ground pork and mushrooms. Sauté until the pork is cooked.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, black pepper, cooking wine, Chinese five spice power, bay leaf, and fried shallots. Bring to a boil.
- Add the hard-boiled eggs and Chinese fried tofu to the dutch oven. Lower the heat to simmer. Cover and simmer on low for two hours.
- Serve with rice and garnish with the scallions.