Sichuan Beef Noodle SoupCourse: Noodles, RECIPES
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
5 pounds beef shank
1 pound beef neck bones
2 pounds beef tendon
3 inch fresh ginger, peeled and smashed
5 each garlic cloves , peeled
1 each yellow onion, peeled
3 tablespoons Sichuan hot bean paste; dou ban jiang; chili bean paste
8 each whole star anise
3 1 1/2 inch cubes Chinese yellow rock sugar, about 3 ounces; or 3 tablespoons sugar (white or Chinese packed light brown sugar)
1 bunch green onions (onion tops), trimmed and use the white parts, smash
1 bunch cilantro stems
8 inches daikon, peel and cut into 1/3
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup Chinese white wine
½ tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
3 roma tomatoes, quartered
2 lb eggless Chinese wheat noodles; Shandong la mien, Cook noodles according to package directions
3 each baby bok choy, each halved lengthwise and rinsed, and gently blanched
chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, sesame oil, bean sprouts, ground white pepper
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large soup pot. Once hot, add beef shank, neck bones, and beef tendons and cook until all sides are gently browned.
- To the pot, over medium-high heat, add ginger, garlic, onion, star anise, whole green onions, and chili bean paste. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add 20 cups of water, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon salt, rock sugar, daikon, cilantro stems, Chinese white wine, Sichuan peppercorns, Chinese five-spice powder and tomatoes.
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Remove meat and tendons and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Strain broth and add beef and tendons back to the strained broth. Discard the beef bones, daikon, etc.
- Cook noodles according to package and drain well.
- Divide noodles among large soup bowls. Add blanched bok choy. Ladle soup and meat over. Garnish with a drop of sesame oil, bean sprouts, chopped green onions and cilantro. Sprinkle with white pepper if desired.