I had some leftover ale from a dinner party I had a couple nights ago. The husband wanted to drink it but I was like, “No…you do NOT. It’s going to go into my short ribs.” The husband was like… “Uh. Okay.” I seriously hope he doesn’t eat these short ribs and wish I had just let him drink the rest of the ale instead. Ugggghhh. xoxo.
Lemongrass Braised Short Ribs
Source: Lo Huynh (4 servings)
3 pounds beef short ribs, bone-in
1 tablespoon all purpose white flour
tt sea salt
tt fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 5-inch stalk lemongrass
1 inch knob fresh ginger, peeled
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 each carrot, peeled and cut into 2″ pieces
2 stalks celery, cut into 2″ pieces
1 each red onion, quartered
2 cups good ale or red wine such as a merlot or cabernet
4 ounces tomato sauce
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1. Wash and dry your short ribs.
2. Season the short ribs with the sea salt and fresh ground black pepper and then dust them with the all purpose white flour.
3. In a dutch oven, coat the pot with canola oil and turn the heat to high.
4. Once the heat is high, begin searing the short ribs until you get a nice brown color on them. Cook small batches of short ribs at a time so you can get a nice sear. Set the short ribs on a plate after you’ve seared them.
5. In the same dutch oven, add the ginger, garlic, lemongrass, carrots, celery, and onions and saute for a couple minutes until it is fragrant.
6. Add the tomato sauce and cook it for about a minute.
7. Add the ale or wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to get flavors into the sauce.
8. Add the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, golden brown sugar, and hoisin sauce.
9. Add the short ribs back into the pot.
10. Add the chicken stock to cover the short ribs and bring to boil.
11. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bones.
12. Serve the short ribs with some smashed potatoes and roasted asparagus and baby oyster mushrooms and spoon the cooking liquid over the short ribs. Garnish with some chopped parsley.